The Montessori Mission
10 Montessorians – 10 Questions – 10 Communities – 10 Perspectives
Hosted by: Charlotte Awdry, Montessori Trainer, founder of Enriching Environments & mother of two
Welcome to ‘The Montessori Mission’ podcast, today we talk to Trisha Moquino, Co-founder of Keres Children’s Learning Center (KCLC).
Hosted by myself, Charlotte Awdry, my mission is to show 10 different voices, perspectives and aspects of Montessori around the world, and the richness it brings in diverse Communities.
In this episode, I am honoured to talk to Trisha Moquino, Co-founder of the Keres Children’s Learning Center (KCLC). Trisha is a shining light for the Keres people, and Indigenous people around the world; through her humility, dignity, and commitment to her people, Trisha shows us all what it means to be an anti-racist ally and a champion for the equal rights of all children.
As a public school teacher, in 2006 Trisha saw that she was perpetuating an educational system that did not support the needs of many Indigenous children, so she envisioned an education that would support Keres language and cultural learning as well as academic development. With those goals in mind and her background in bilingual and Montessori education, she co-founded KCLC, which opened in 2012 as a Keres-immersion early childhood classroom using Montessori pedagogy. It has since expanded to include a Montessori dual-language Elementary classroom.
About Trisha Moquino
From the villages of Cochiti, Ohkay Owhingeh, and Santo Domingo, Trisha Moquino did her schooling in her villages’ local public schools, earned her bachelor’s degree in American Studies from Stanford University, her Master’s degree in Bilingual Education from the University of New Mexico, and completed her Montessori certification at the Montessori Education Center of the Rockies. Her master’s thesis (2000) laid out the vision for what would eventually become the Keres Children’s Learning Center (KCLC).
Listen to more episodes:
- Episode 1, Montessori Mission Podcast – LISTEN/WATCH – Jeanne-Marie Paynel, host of The Art of Parenting podcast and founder of Your Parenting Mentor.
- Episode 2, Montessori Mission Podcast – LISTEN/WATCH – Akshatha Chandrakanth, Certified Positive Discipline Parent Educator.
- Episode 3, Montessori Mission Podcast – LISTEN/WATCH – Nusaibah Macadam, Montessori Teacher, Trainer and Consultant and Principal of Rumi Montessori School.
- Episode 5, Montessori Mission Podcast – LISTEN/WATCH – Barbara Isaacs, President of Montessori Europe and co-founder of Montessori Musings.
- Episode 6, Montessori Mission Podcast – LISTEN/WATCH – Aziza Osman, Human development professional and Founder & CEO at Montiplay.